Monday, May 26, 2008

Volcano


IMG_3062
Originally uploaded by awater

About 1/2 hour outside of San Cristóbal de Las Casas, deep into the cloud forest and the indigenous pueblas of the Tzotzil, we found this village located in the center of a Volcano; just as Luis had described it.

I took this picture from the far edge of the canyon, after driving along what seemed to be the one main street from the highway, past the soccer field and main plaza (two Churches on the way) and up onto a dirt road, where finally, there was room enough to turn-around. A car and a truck followed us up after I walked from the car up a dirt path to look back onto the lake, the crater and the town.


A family climbed out of the truck, only one man and three women (along with a young girl, maybe two or three who remained in the backseat of the four-door pickup front. They picked up a ladder and started picking plums from one of the trees growing along the hillside above the lake.


Of course, they offered me one, and I couldn't refuse, cleaning off the outside of the skin with my shirt and enjoying one of the most delicious plums I had had in a long time.

No comments: